ShelterLuv can automatically upload (add) and update (edit/remove) your adoptable pets on your Adopt-a-Pet.com account. Here's how to set that up.
IMPORTANT NOTE#1: The first upload from ShelterLuv (or any software) will permanently erase ALL your pet data on your Adopt-a-Pet.com account, including any adopted pets, adopter info, and microchip info. Please proceed carefully!
IMPORTANT NOTE#2: If you were previously using from another software or service, please CONTACT THEM prior to making these changes to ask them to disable their upload. We also recommend after that, email Adopt-a-Pet.com to ask us to reset your FTP password.
1. Log in to your Adopt-a-Pet account www.adoptapet.com/login
2. In the green navigation bar, select "Shelter/Rescue"
3. Select "AutoUpload/Import Pets"
Note: If you were previously using another software's importing, you'll need to first de-activate that by setting the first option to "no" then clicking update.
4. Select "ShelterLuv" and click continue. Leave these defaults:
- Do you want to allow your shelter/rescue to AutoUpload? Yes (this turns it on)
- Allow manually added pets? No
- Allow manual editing of pets? No
- Does your exported data file contain a first line with column headers? Yes
- Do you want import acceptable pets, even if there are processing errors with other pets? Yes
5. Click the Set-up (or update) button.
6. Your unique FTP info will be displayed. Leave that screen open, and open ShelterLuv.
7. In your ShelterLuv software, go to
"Uploads and Integrations"
then "Aggregators of Adoptable Animals"
IMPORTANT NOTE #3: FTP fields are in a different order in ShelterLuv. Be sure to type them in to the correct boxes:
8. IMPORTANT You must have at least one Pet Publicist admin "AutoUpload Contact" on your Adopt-a-Pet.com account for uploading to run. That contact will get any error emails, not more than once every 12 hours. That contact should work with ShelterLuv to address any errors. If you are not the AutoUpload contact, ask that person to log in to their Adopt-a-Pet.com account, click "My Info" and then "My Pet Publicist/Admin Info" i.e. https://www.adoptapet.com/cgi-bin/shelter/publicist.cgi/publicist_edit_form
Check the checkbox for:
__ I am an AutoUpload contact for this shelter/rescue.
Then click the "Update My Info" button.
9. In your ShelterLuv, take a look at your Status Configurations (Configurations > Processing > Status Manager) and if needed, create a status where Publish = Yes and include the pets you want sent to Adopt A Pet in this status.
ShelterLuv uploads every 8 hours.
It takes 1 to 4 hours after that for pet updates to appear.
What pet info does ShelterLuv upload to Adopt-a-Pet.com?
- Primary Breed / Secondary Breed
- Size for dogs (based on weight, otherwise defaults to small)
- Age Group (Puppy/kitten/baby, young, adult, senior)
- Website/Kennel Card Memo (animal bio/description)
- Animal primary color (just the 1st one)
- Photos (up to 4, one must be selected as the Cover Photo)
- YouTube video (up to 1)
Size is determined using the weight on the animal's record. ShelterLuv does not upload exact weight value. This ShelterLuv article https://help.shelterluv.com/hc/en-us/articles/360016262272-What-information-is-uploaded-to-Petfinder-com-Adopt-a-Pet-com-and-RescueGroups-org- has more information, be sure to scroll down to the "Note" section.
If there is additional information you want uploaded, like the pet's exact age, weight, vaccinations or whether the animal is altered or not, ShelterLuv recommends adding that as typed text in the animal's Kennel Card/Website Bio so it is visible in the pets's Story field on Adopt-a-Pet.com.
Still need help? Submit this "Request form" to contact us. We're here for you!