Wix.com is an easy-to-use website creation service, with a free option and a built-in shelter/rescue template. Wix's free option displays small ads across the top of every page of your website. You can compare their paid vs free here. See an example free website we created using their template at https://adoptapetdotcom.wixsite.com/test
Add your Adopt-a-Pet.com adoptable pet list to Wix
Wix.com lets you create a website and add an iframe to display your Adopt-a-Pet.com pet list. Here's a step-by-step guide on how to do that:
1. If you haven't already, create a Wix website and sign in.
2. From "My Sites" select a site to open its dashboard. Click the blue "Edit Site" button.
3. Click on the "Menus & Pages" icon
Click on the page where you want to insert your pet list. Wait for that page to display.
4. Click + to open the Add to Site menu.
Select Embeds > Custom Embeds > Embed a widget
Click the blue plus icon "Add to Site"
Click the X to close the left menu so you can see the website page.
5. There will be a new little box added to the page.
Drag it to where you want your pet list.
Then click the "Enter Code" button:
6. A new window will pop up for you to paste in your code.
7. Open a new window or tab in your web browser to go to Adopt-a-Pet.com to get the Pet List code to copy from here: https://www.adoptapet.com/shelter/portable_pet_list/create
Use the customize options to get the pet list preview to look as you'd like it.
Copy all the Generated Code.
8. Go back to the Wix HTML Settings window.
Paste your code into "Add your code here".
Then it will look something like this:
Click the X in the upper right to close the HTML Settings window.
9. Use the tiny white circle handles to drag the pet list box to the size you want.
10. Click Preview in the upper right of your screen to see how it looks, and then Save or Publish.
That's it, you're done!
Pro tip: To edit the width and/or height of the pet list that appears within the box, click "Edit Code" and then carefully type over these numbers in the code:
AND you must also edit the same numbers again a bit farther down in the code:
<div style="height: 320px; width: 450px;
Be careful you don't edit anything other than the numbers, as code is very particular.
Other website options
Dreamhost.com - A rescue told us, "501c3 orgs can get DreamHost for free, which includes WordPress for free, which gives them tons more templates than Wix. All they have to buy is the domain name (on NameCheap) and link it to DreamHost. DreamHost support is excellent. I really love using this service."